Monday, October 15, 2012

Veggie Broth FTW!


Vegetable broth is stupid easy to make. In fact, I still kick myself for all the years I composted my clippings and didn't use them to make stock. The only downside to my veg broth is no two batches are ever the same. Sure, I always have the obligatory onion bits and pepper pieces, but sometimes Jay enters a vegan recipe challenge and I have the stem and guts of a butternut squash. I use everything from my veggie clippings, excluding the PLU stickers... but sometimes those things sneak in. Stems, butts, seeds, the dry skin from onions... it all goes in. If you want a garlicky broth, bash the cloves of a head of garlic with the side of your knife and throw all that goodness, skin and all, into the pot.

 

Instructions for bashing garlic cloves:

1) Place whole clove on cutting board.

2) Place side of chef's knife firmly against clove.

3) Think of all the times your significant other pissed you off and use that fury to bash the side of you fist against the knife.

4) Viola! Depending on the force you can either a) easily peel the garlic and slice or mince nicely or b) you pulverized that sucker into oblivion.

 


When we prepare our veggies for meals, we place the cuttings onto a plate. After everything is sliced and diced, the rejects are stuffed into a gallon sized freezer bag and placed in the freezer. I stuff two bags full before I make my broth- but naturally you would need to adjust the amount for your particular pan. I use a large stock pot, but you may use something smaller. I fill the pot to the brim with veggies, because I like a strong broth, then fill with water. I don't add salt or seasonings because I tend to do that when I prepare meals. If you want to add seasonings though, go for it! Think of yourself as a mad scientist and this is your creation.

Bring it to a good, hard boil then turn it off. I cover the broth and let it set for a few hours to cool.

You have several options for packaging your broth. You could use more baggies if you choose. You can use ice cube trays for when you need just a little broth- like steam frying or giving a flavor boost to rice or quinoa. I use BPA free plastic containers. My method of straining consists of scooping the vegetables out with a mesh strainer and squishing the veggies over the stock pot until I get most of the broth out of them. I then compost my bits and pieces. Once I have the majority of the chunks, I place my strainer over the plastic container (or a bowl if filling small containers or ice cube trays) and pour the broth. The mesh catches any errant seeds I may have missed. A standard colander might not be quite as effective, but I suspect you could use a cheesecloth if you have one handy.

Place your containers in your freezer and think of all the money you just saved!


No comments:

Post a Comment